Where to Park, Shop and Dine at BWI
Located nine miles south of downtown Baltimore and 30 miles northeast of Washington D.C., Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport (BWI Marshall), saw almost 27 million commercial passengers cross its threshold in 2019. The airport serves more than 650 domestic and international flight operations daily.
In October 2005, the airport was renamed to honor former U.S. Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall, who grew up in Baltimore.
Several films including The Silence of the Lambs, Goldfinger, Broadcast News, Home for the Holidays, and Twelve Monkeys feature scenes filmed at the airport.
BWI Marshall has five concourses and its headquarters on the third floor of the terminal building. In the fall of 2016, BWI Marshall completed a three-year $125 million construction project that modernized the airport’s Concourse D, connected Concourses D and E, and added new TSA checkpoints and three international swing gates. In February 2017, a new $60.3 million expansion to Concourse E was announced, and includes 70,000 square feet of new terminal space and six additional international gates.
BWI Marshall serves as a hub for Southwest Airlines. Other carriers offering service from the airport include Air Canada Express, Air Senegal, Alaska Airlines, Allegiant Air, American Airlines, American Eagle, Boutique Air, British Airways, Condor, Contour Airlines, Delta Air Lines, Delta Connection, Frontier Airlines, Icelandair, JetBlue, Southwest Airlines, Spirit Airlines, Sun Country Airlines, United Airlines, and United Express.
AIRPORT DINING AND AMENITIES
BWI Marshall features a variety of food and drink vendors , from gourmet bites to fast food options. Rated one of the country’s healthiest airports, fitness-minded travelers can grab a full workout on the Cardio Trail, break a sweat at the ADA accessible ROAM Fitness gym, or rent a Zagster bike for the 12.5 mile trail around the airport perimeter. Additionally, BWI’s threeBe Relax locations let you punctuate a stressful travel day with a moment of calm. For unexpected layovers, you can relax or nap in one of Minute Suites’ new private rooms at BWI.
With two easily accessible locations at 790 S. Camp Meade Road and 7188 Ridge Road, parking at BWI is both easy and affordable! The Parking Spot location offers reservable spots that are approximately 40% less expensive than parking at the airport, and is located just a few minutes from BWI Marshall.
- Access to the lowest rates via reservation and pre-pay on The Parking Spot app or TheParkingSpot.com.
- 24/7 on-call shuttle service
- Shuttle tracking through The Parking Spot app
- Luggage assistance
- Free bottled water
- Soft Hands Car Care for select locations and parking types
- Short and long-term parking options
- Open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year
- Express check-in and check-out through The Parking Spot app
HOTELS NEAR BWI Marshall
Whether you are planning in advance or experiencing unexpected overnight delays, there are plenty of places to stay near BWI Marshall. Check out these nearby hotel options:
- Hilton Baltimore BWI Airport
- 1739 W. Nursery Road, Linthicum Heights, MD 21090
- Ph.: +1.410.694.0808
- Holiday Inn Baltimore BWI Airport
- 815 Elkridge Landing Road, Linthicum Heights, MD 21090
- Ph.: +1.410.691.1000
- Hampton Inn & Suites Arundel Mills/Baltimore
- 7027 Arundel Mills Circle, Hanover, MD 20176
- Ph.: +1.410.540.9225
For additional lodging options, check out this interactive map.
BWI AIRPORT ATTRACTIONS
Observation Gallery at BWI Marshall Airport- Adjacent to the B/C security checkpoint on the upper level, the BWI Marshall Airport Observation Gallery offers travelers air travel-themed displays and exhibits right inside the airport.
ATTRACTIONS NEAR BWI
- National Electronics Museum (1745 W. Nursery Road, Linthicum, MD) - This museum is dedicated to the science and engineering of electronic systems and the commercial products derived from them. (2.2 miles from BWI Marshall)
- Guinness Open Gate Brewery & Barrel House (5001 Washington Blvd., Halethorpe, MD) - Explore the first Guinness Brewery in the U.S. and their full list of beers for tasting. (4.5 miles from BWI Marshall)
- Oriole Park at Camden Yards (333 W Camden St, Baltimore, MD 21201) - Catch a baseball game at the home of the Baltimore Orioles, “The Ballpark That Forever Changed Baseball”. (10 miles from BWI Marshall)
- The National Aquarium (National Aquarium, 501 E Pratt St, Baltimore, MD 21202) - As the most frequently visited tourist attraction in Baltimore, The National Aquarium is the place to see the hundreds of exotic species inhabiting its award-winning exhibits. (10.7 miles from BWI Marshall)
Q. What does BWI Airport stand for?
A. BWI is the airport code for Baltimore/Washington International Airport, which serves the Baltimore, Maryland and Washington D.C areas. It lies between the metropolitan Washington, D.C. and Baltimore, MD.
Q. Can you sleep at BWI Airport?
A. You can sleep at BWI, but sleeping space is limited. There are small sections of armrest-free seats and padded benches in Concourses C, D and E. The Minute Suites at BWI provide passengers with a place to sleep in private.
Q. Where is BWI located?
A. BWI is located between the Baltimore and Washington metropolitan areas.
Q. Is there a kid-friendly area at BWI?
A. There is a children's play area located in the Concourse D and E connector area of BWI.
Q. Is there a nursing area at BWI?
A. There are nursing stations located at BWI in each of the 5 concourses.
Q. Is vaping allowed at BWI?
A. Vaping is not allowed inside BWI. There is a designated smoking area near the outside curb of the airport.
Q. Can you smoke inside BWI?
A. Smoking is not allowed inside the airport. There is a designated smoking area outside the airport.
Q. How many runways does BWI have?
A. BWI has three asphalt runways that are ready for flight take-offs and landings.