Where to Park, Shop and Dine in the Charlotte Airport
As the 11th busiest airport in the U.S. (ranked by passenger traffic), and serving both civil and military needs, bustling CLT typically welcomes over 50 million passengers annually through its 115 gates in five concourses. The airport serves nearly 175 destinations globally, averages about 1,600 daily aircraft operations, and is a fortress hub for American Airlines. CLT received the Eagle Award in 2010 from the International Air Transport Association for Best Airport.
Concourse A is used by Air Canada, American Airlines, Contour Airlines, Delta, Frontier, JetBlue, Southwest Airlines, Spirit, and United Airlines. This terminal is currently under expansion and will include 18 additional gates come 2020.
Concourse B is occupied solely by American Airlines. It features a signature American Airlines Admirals Club.
Concourse C is designated for American Airlines flights and American Eagle flights operated by Republic Airline. There is a second Admirals Club between Concourses C and D.
Concourse D serves international flights, and some American Airlines domestic flights. The gate is by Lufthansa and Volaris airlines.
Concourse E is the largest of the five concourses with 46 gates. It is almost solely used by American Eagle flights, though Gates E1 - E3 are available for use by other carriers as well.
AIRPORT DINING AND AMENITIES
CLT features several dining options that offer regional fare, well-loved American classics, and global cuisine. Find a full list of airport dining options here.
CLT also features free WiFi to passengers throughout their terminals. Select ‘CLT Free WiFi’ to connect. Charging stations are located at all concourses and in select gate areas.
There are two Mother’s Rooms at CLT, one on the upper level of the Atrium across from the Airport Chapel, and one in the Concourse A connector between Gates A1-A13 and A21-A29. Diaper changing stations are also located in all restrooms throughout the terminal.
Pet relief areas are located outside the terminal, post-security, on the A/B Connector near Checkpoint A, on the Concourse A connector, and on Concourse D near the Original Rum Bar and Grill.
Parking near CLT with The Parking Spot helps travelers find the best, most convenient and most cost-effective parking option so the car-to-air transfer is as seamless as possible. On average, parking with The Parking Spot is approximately 10-40% less expensive than parking at the airport. It is within minutes from the CLT, and includes complimentary door-to-door shuttle service to and from the airport. Other benefits of The Parking Spot include:
- On-call shuttle service 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Shuttle tracking through The Parking Spot app
- Luggage assistance
- Free bottled water
- Soft Hands Car Care
- EV charging stations
- Open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year
- Express check-in and checkout through The Parking Spot app
- Reservations to guarantee a spot ahead of time
HOTELS NEAR CLT
Whether you are planning in advance or experiencing unexpected overnight delays, finding a place to lay your head near CLT is a breeze. Check out these nearby hotel options:
- Hampton Inn & Suites Charlotte-Airport
- 2731 Little Rock Road, Charlotte, NC 28214
- Phone: +1.704.394.6455
- Hilton Garden Inn Charlotte Airport
- 2400 Cascade Pointe Blvd., Charlotte, NC, 28208
- Phone: +1.704.790.7000
- Quality Inn & Suites Charlotte Airport
- 3100 Queen City Drive, Charlotte, NC 28208
- Phone: +1.980.500.3895
- Homewood Suites Charlotte Airport
- 2770 Yorkmont Road, Charlotte, NC 28208
- Phone: +1.704.357.0500
CLT is one of the few U.S. airports to feature a public viewing area. Air travel enthusiasts of all ages can watch planes taxi, takeoff and land on runways 18C and 36C.
The Carolinas Aviation Museum is located on CLT’s airfield. The museum opened its doors in 1992, and it has a collection of over 50 aircrafts on display—including the N106US US Airways Airbus flown by Captain Chesley Sullenburger as US Airways Flight 1549 that landed in New York’s Hudson River in January 2009. It also features an expansive aviation library and a vast photography collection.
ATTRACTIONS NEAR CLT
- Billy Graham Library (4330 Westmont Dr., Charlotte) - A public museum and library commemorating the life and work of the Billy Graham, a famous Christian evangelist (5.5 miles from CLT).
- U.S. National Whitewater Center (500 Whitewater Center Pkwy, Charlotte)- Whitewater rafting, ziplines, jumps, ropes, climbing, kayaking and more are all available at this outdoor recreation area (7.8 miles from CLT).
- NASCAR Hall of Fame (400 E M.L.K. Jr Boulevard, Charlotte) - A shrine to Charlotte’s hometown sport, the NASCAR Hall of Fame honors exceptional drivers, crew members, and others involved with NASCAR racing. (7.9 miles from CLT)
- Levine Museum of the New South (200 E 7th Street, Charlotte) - This museum documents the history of the Piedmont region of North Carolina, focusing on life after the Civil War during Reconstruction and the Civil Rights Era. (9.8 miles from CLT)
Q. Who owns Charlotte Douglas International Airport?
A. The City of Charlotte owns Charlotte-Douglas International Airport. It is operated by the Charlotte Department of Aviation.
Q. When is Charlotte Douglas airport open?
A. Charlotte-Douglas Airport is open 24 hours a day, every day. Security hours vary by gate; see here for up to date information on airport security.
Q. Does Southwest Airlines fly from Charlotte, NC?
A. Yes, Southwest flies out of CLT.
Q. Is Charlotte in North or South Carolina?
A. Charlotte is in North Carolina. It is the most populous city in North Carolina.
Q. How many total passengers fly in and out of CLT Douglas every year?
A. In 2019, CLT-Douglas served over 50 million passengers. It is the sixth busiest airport in the U.S. (ranked by passenger traffic), and the sixth busiest airport worldwide, ranked by aircraft movements.
Q. Can you sleep in Charlotte airport?
A. There are two Minute Suites locations in Concourse D and in the atrium of CLT. Gates B4, B8, and B16 have arm-rest free seating as well.
Q. Does Charlotte airport have TSA Precheck?
A. Charlotte-Douglas does have a designated TSA Precheck lane. It is one of the more than 200 airports that offer TSA Precheck
Q. Can you smoke in Charlotte airport?
A. CLT Airport is a smoke-free facility, and it does not have any smoking lounges. Smoking is allowed outside, 100-feet away from the airport.
Q. How many runways does Charlotte Douglas Airport have?
A. CLT Airport has one crosswind and three parallel runways.
Q. Does Charlotte have a designated nursing area for moms?
A. CLT has two designated mother rooms located near Concourse A and D.
Q. Is there a child friendly area at CLT?
A. CLT does not have a child play area.