Atlanta Airport Guide: Shop, Dine, and Play at ATL
Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport is one of the biggest and most popular airports in the nation. That can make traveling here a little hectic. As a result, it’s important for travelers to know about ATL parking times, ATL airport wait times, what to do in ATL airport, and available ATL airport food, amenities, shopping, and other services. In this airport guide, The Parking Spot will provide in-depth information about this airport to streamline your travel and ensure it goes as smoothly as possible.
A History of/Look at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport ATL
This massively successful airport (at 6000 North Terminal Parkway in Atlanta, GA 30320) opened in 1925 on an abandoned auto racetrack (The Atlanta Speedway) and had its first flight on September 15, 1926. By 1928, ATL had partnered with Pitcairn Aviation (later known as Eastern Air Lines) and started hosting Delta Air Service (later Delta Air Lines) flights. Atlanta would then serve as their main hub and was, by the end of 1930, the third most heavily frequented airport in the nation.
Today, Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport ATL , or ATL, is the busiest airport in terms of passenger traffic: It serves more than 93.6 million passengers every year. ATL is still the primary hub for Delta Air Lines, the world’s largest airline, with over 1,000 flights a day and 224 domestic and international destinations. This partnership between Delta and ATL provides the airport with many flight options, connections, amenities, and services that make it a popular travel choice. But just how big is the ATL airport? It features 152 domestic and 40 international gates over 4,700 acres of land.
Much of this growth has been fueled by the ATLNext Expansion project , which looks to expand passenger experiences and improve ATL's infrastructure. It includes adding more concourses, renovating the terminal, and providing better parking options and modern amenities that will help transform the airport for the better.
Parking/Transportation for Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport ATL
ATL features plenty of parking facilities with varying hourly and daily rates. These include online reservations and reserved parking options through multiple booking programs. However, you can also reserve a parking spot with The Parking Spot at one of two locations: Camp Creek Parkway and Desert Drive with service to the International Terminal. Rates are typically 40% cheaper than at the airport and include amenities like:
- Complimentary door-to-door shuttle service
- Access to the lowest rates on The Parking Spot app
- On-call shuttle available 24/7
- Shuttle tracking on The Parking Spot app
- Support in hauling your luggage
- Spot Club membership options
- Free bottled water during your trip
- Soft Hands Car Care options, depending on your location
- Short- and long-term options for parking
- Available 24/7/365
- Express check-in and check-out options in The Parking Spot app
Hotels Near ATL
If you plan to stay in Atlanta and need hotels with nice amenities, here are several options that may suit your travel needs and make traveling with kids a little easier for you:
Renaissance Concourse Atlanta Airport Hotel
One Hartsfield Centre Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30354
Ph.: +1 404.209.9999
Brick Lodge Atlanta/Norcross
2050 Willow Trail Parkway, Norcross, GA 30093
Ph.: + 1.770.564.0492
The Starling Atlanta Midtown, Curio Collection by Hilton
188 14th Street Northeast, Atlanta, GA 30361
Ph.: + 1.404.892.6000
La Quinta Inn & Suites by Wyndham Atlanta Airport North
1200 Virginia Ave, Atlanta, GA 30344
The Westin Peachtree Plaza, Atlanta
210 Peachtree Street, Northwest, Atlanta, GA 30303
Ph.: + 1.404.659.1400
Drury Inn & Suites Atlanta Airport
1270 Virginia Ave, Atlanta, GA 30344
Terminal Map for Hartsfield Jackson Atlanta International Airport
If you want to use a customizable, interactive, and full-scale map of ATL airport , click on this link. It includes every concourse and highlights different elements of each to ensure that you understand your visit to ATL. In this way, you can avoid complications during your trip by understanding exactly where you need to go at the airport.
How to Check Wait Times and Flight Status at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport
If you want to check your wait times and flight status at ATL, you can use this website to track departures and arrivals for each flight at the airport. You can also download the official ATL Airport app to check for each status. This free app is a good download for frequent fliers.
Food and Dining in ATL
ATL provides many dining options throughout its many terminals and concourses. Here are a few options to consider when flying into or out of Hartsfield Jackson Atlanta International Airport:
- Domestic Terminal: ATL’s main terminal features restaurants like Atlanta Chophouse & Brewery, Burger King, and IHOP Express.
- Concourse T: This concourse includes dining options like Grindhouse Killer Burgers, The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf, and Goldberg’s Bagel Company and Deli.
- Concourse A: Try restaurants like Chick-Fil-A, Brioche Doree, and Atlanta Bread and Bar at this concourse.
- Concourse B: Visit Asian Chao, Dunkin’ Donuts, Bobby’s Burger Palace, Popeyes, or Proof of the Pudding here.
- Concourse C: This concourse includes Charley’s Philly Steaks, Baja Fresh Express, Atlanta Bread, and Chick-Fil-A.
- Concourse D: Try Einstein Bros Bagels, Chipotle, Five Guys, Chicken + Beer, Buffalo Wild Wings, or Aunt Anne’s here.
- Concourse E: Concourse E includes restaurants like Boar’s Head, Arby’s, McDonald's, and Panda Express.
- Concourse F: Visit The Pecan Bistro, The Original El Taco, and Starbucks when flying from this concourse.
Amenities and Pet Support in Hartsfield Jackson Atlanta International Airport ATL
ATL provides many amenities for you and your pets, including:
- Airport lounges
- Financial services
- Interfaith chapel
- On-site medical services
- Nursing stations
- Service animal relief areas
Art, Sculpture, and Things to See in ATL
Hartsfield Jackson Atlanta International Airport is known for its beautiful artwork and its focus on highlighting Atlanta’s Civil Rights successes . For example, ATL’s Concourse T has a beautiful Plane Train tunnel that includes multi-colored lights with a musical accompaniment that makes it a more enjoyable place to visit.
ATL also features artwork spotlights, including a tribute to Congressman John Lewis , an important Civil Rights activist. This airport also features the Delta Flight Museum , an interesting and in-depth examination of historic aircraft. You can also tour the Boeing 767 and see the first-ever 747-400 to examine Delta’s impact on the history of flight. You can also visit ATL Skypointe, a 60-foot, three-dimensional model of the airport that lets you learn more facts about the airport's operation and infrastructure.
Fun for Kids and Teens at ATL
If your kids are bored waiting for your flight, here are a few ways you can entertain them at ATL:
- Various shops where your kids can buy books and other items
- Multiple art exhibits that may entertain your children
- Live music performances throughout terminals, including jazz, blues, and country
Lounges in Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport ATL
ATL includes many lounges where you can meet other people, including:
- Delta Sky Clubs in Concourse A, B, C, D, E, F, and T
- Be Relax Spa and Minute Suites in Concourse B
- The Club at ATL in Concourse F
- Admirals Club, United Club, USO Lounge in Concourse T
Moving Walkways, Lightrails, and Wheelchair Assistance at ATL
Atlanta’s main lightrail and train network is MARTA , which runs throughout the city and helps get you closer to ATL during your travels. ATL SkyTrain is an automated people mover system that connects terminals, rental car areas, and the Georgia International Convention Center. ATL also offers support for special needs , including accessible restrooms, designated parking spaces, wheelchair support, and visual and hearing aids.
Security at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport ATL
ATL includes multiple security programs that streamline your visit , with 13 international checkpoints and 24 domestic checkpoints. You can even use programs like Global Entry that help improve international travel and minimize your waiting times.
Wi-Fi at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport
ATL has provided free Wi-Fi internet throughout the whole airport since 2014 as part of its community engagement program. This initiative includes job training, small business development, and social responsibility. These social responsibility programs include a focus on sustainability, such as energy-efficient infrastructures, waste reduction, and water conservation.