Discover Bradley International Airport: Your Ultimate Traveler's Guide
Bradley International Airport (BDL) is the second largest airport in New England and operates at Schoephoester Road in Windsor Locks, Connecticut. It serves the greater Hartford area, the U.S. Air Force, and the 103rd airlift wing of the Connecticut Air National Guard. It was built in 1948 for public and commercial use and serves multiple airlines.
Southwest, Delta, JetBlue, and American Airlines are the four most significant. Others include Air Canada Express, Breeze Airways, Delta Connections, Frontier, Spirit, Sun Country, United, and United Express. We at The Parking Spot are proud to serve this airport.
About the BDL
Location and Address.
BDL is located at 11 Schoephoester Road, Windsor Locks, CT 06096.
Mass Public Transportation to the Airport
Public transit options to BDL include CT Transit buses on Route 24, Amtrak train 55, and various taxis such as Uber and Lyft.
BDL recently created new initiatives to make the airport more appealing, including:
- Modernization to help improve passenger flow, dining experiences, and shopping options
- A friendlier and more personalized approach with more robust customer service options
- A more personalized approach suited to each customer's specific needs
Free Wi-Fi at Bradley Airport
It’s easy to get online in the Bradley Airport terminal
- On your mobile device, open your settings and look for “BDLPublic” (make sure your wireless connectivity is turned on.)
- The BDL splash screen will appear with links to the terms and conditions should you choose to review them.
- Click “Accept” and you are on your way to getting stuff done.
Why Fly out of Bradley International Airport?
Bradley International Airport can be more convenient for those living in Connecticut or western Massachusetts. White Plains airport is closer to New York City but can also be less convenient for those who do not live close to the airport, given the traffic congestion in the area. Drive times to BDL from most parts of Massachusetts is less than the drive to Logan.
While Boston Logan is a larger airport and has more flight options, Bradley International Airport still offers a wide range of domestic and international flights. It is also a hub for several airlines, including Delta and JetBlue, which can offer competitive pricing and more flight options. Bradley is roughly twice as large as Westchester County (White Plains) airport in terms of passengers served.
Bradley International Airport offers several parking options at different price points, including a long-term parking lot and a garage. White Plains airport can be more limited in terms of parking options, and parking rates can be high. Logan parking is more expensive and harder to get to.
Bradley International Airport tends to have fewer crowds than BOS, which can make it easier to navigate and more relaxed. White Plains airport can also be crowded, especially during peak travel periods, given its proximity to New York City.
Hotels Near the Bradley International Airport
BDL has multiple 3-5 star hotels nearby where you can stay with your family during your trip. These hotels provide various amenities, including pools, hot tubs, breakfast, and even shuttle delivery. Some even work with The Spot Club to provide expert support for new visitors. These hotels include:
1 Bradley International Airport, Windsor Locks, CT 06906
Phone: (860) 627-5311
600 Spring Street, Windsor Locks, CT 06096
Phone: (860) 386-6300
2 Loten Drive, Windsor Locks, CT
Ph one: (860) 627-9333
65 Ella Grasso Turnpike, Windsor Locks, CT 06096
Phone: (86)0 627-8463
16 Ella, T Ella Grasso Turnpike, Windsor Locks, CT 06096
Phone: (860) 627-5171
Book your hotel stay online to save yourself some money and time. You can earn points using booking sites that provide discounts for your next trips and ensure that you save even more money when traveling in BDL and throughout the New England area.
Attractions Near BDL
The Bradley International Airport features many fascinating attractions that should interest people traveling through the area. These include:
- Connecticut Trolley Museum (58 North Road, East Windsor, CT) Here, you can get unlimited trolley rides with your kids and learn about the evolution of trolleys throughout the years. (6.7 miles)
- Old New-Gate Prison and Copper Mine (115 Newgate Road, East Granby, CT) A historical landmark highlighting the state's oldest copper mine and its first prison. (5.5 miles)
- Puzzle Theory (46 Kennedy Road #1, South Windsor, CT 06074) An engaging escape room option that will keep you and your family guessing and excited to the very end. (12.3 miles)
- Spare Time Entertainment (129 Ella Grasso Turnpike, Windsor Locks, CT 06096) A bowling and entertainment facility with escape rooms, food, and arcade machines. (3.0 miles)
- Roaring Acres Alpacas (685 Hale Street, Suffield, CT 06078) A beautiful farm with alpacas, desert sheep, horses, goats, pigs, ducks, chickens, geese, and other fascinating creatures. (4.7 miles)
These fun and unforgettable destinations are within easy driving distance of the airport. You can book a taxi or even temporarily rent a car when visiting these attractions to improve your trip. Don't forget to reserve your parking with us if you plan on driving yourself to the airport to avoid losing your spot.
Airport Dining and Amenities
BDL visitors can check out various shopping and dining options in and around the airport. These should provide plenty of entertaining options for you and your children. You can check out their full list here or look through the selections below to get an idea of what they provide:
- Benefit Cosmetics – A popular cosmetics store with brow wax and makeup options.
- Black Bear Saloon – A full bar with various foods, such as burgers, fish, and salads.
- Brooks Brothers – An apparel store where you can buy high-quality clothing for men and women.
- Fresh City – A sandwich shop serving burritos, stir fry, rice bowls, wraps, and salads.
- Jamba Juice – A smoothie shop serving breakfast sandwiches, waffles, and more.
- Cover 2 Cover – A popular book store that sells the latest and most popular best sellers.
- InMotion – An electronics store that specializes in noise-canceling headphones and more.
- TravelMart – A convenience store branch with multiple branches throughout BDL.
When buying any goods from these shops, carefully pack your suitcases and declare any items before you travel overseas. Doing so can help avoid customs misunderstandings and keep your trip moving smoothly.
Fun for Kids and Teens in BDL
While there are no kid-play zones in BDL, there are still plenty of fun things your kids and teens can do while visiting this airport. Rather than just sitting on their phone the whole time and never talking, you can experience a few different fun adventures together at:
- iStore – This electronic shop is perfect for kids who need new headphones for their trip.
- TravelMart – Kids can find various snacks, treats, and toys in this convenience store.
- Connecticut Culture Gallery – An attractive art gallery that kids and parents may love.
- Cover 2 Cover – Find kid-friendly magazines and books in this popular bookstore.
- Plane Spotting – Check out this fun section, where you and your kids can watch planes take off.
Keeping your children entertained in this way can ensure their satisfaction and provide hours of fun that will avoid boredom. That's a significant benefit when dealing with energetic children who have difficulty focusing their attention when sitting during a layover.
Parking Options in BDL
BDL provides parking options in the airport garage and off-site. The Parking Spot can provide an inexpensive door-to-door shuttle service that will take you from your home or hotel to the airport and save up to 20% on your parking fees . We provide:
- On-call 24/7 shuttle service
- Lowest possible rates
- Shuttle tracking
- Free bottled water
- Express check-in and check-out
- Valet parking
- Luggage help
Reserving a spot ahead of time can save you even more. Join the Spot Club and download our helpful app to track the shuttles.
BDL has multiple security checkpoints to keep visitors safe, with wait times typically around 3-4 minutes. If you get anything taken from you at one of these destinations, BDL offers a mail-back program with which they will send back these items rather than surrender them. For a small fee, you can send any prohibited items home and get them within 7-10 days.
Lounges and Clubs
BDL hosts The Escape Lounge , a relaxing area where you can get high-speed wireless internet, contemporary furnishings, a private restroom, hot and cold foods, and much more. American Express Platinum and Delta SkyMiles Reserve cardholders can enter for free, but others must pay a small fee. It's a great place to relax and meet new friends while traveling.
Moving Walkways and Other Amenities
BDL provides multiple moving walkways and rails that make your trip safer and easier. They suggest various safety tips , such as keeping wheeled vehicles off railways, keeping at least two feet of space between you and others, avoiding loose clothing near the belts, and walking safely to prevent injuries. These simple steps can ensure that your family is safe while on your trip.
COVID-19 Updates for BDL
BDL currently has minimal COVID-19 restrictions, though some airlines may still require masks. Just a few that have varying mask guidelines include:
- American Airlines
- Delta Airlines
- Frontier Airlines
- Jet Blue
- Spirit Airlines
- Air Canada
- Aer Lingus
Note that these guidelines may change over time, so check regularly with your booking company and reserve ahead of time with The Parking Spot to reserve a parking spot in Windsor Locks CT.