Start off the Fall Season Pumpkin Picking with the Family
Start off the Fall Season Pumpkin Picking with the Family October is a month known for new harvests, a visible change of seasons, and of course, Halloween. One of the most well-recognized symbols of this holiday is the jack-o-lantern. Picking the perfect pumpkin for a jack-o-lantern has become a tradition that families around the country look forward to every season. The Parking Spot has found a few pumpkin farms that offer a unique pumpkin picking experience. So hit the road jack and visit some of these great pumpkin farms to create an unforgettable pumpkin picking trip. 1. Cool Patch Pumpkins – Dixon, California Known for its large amount of pumpkin varieties, the Cool Patch Pumpkins farm is definitely the place to go for a unique pumpkin picking experience. Here visitors can choose from thousands of pumpkins or spend a few hours navigating the world’s largest corn maze. Consider visiting during the scarecrow contest or the end-of-season pumpkin smash. 2. The Great Pumpkin Patch Express – Bryson City, N.C. Not many pumpkin farms offer a travel experience quite like that of The Great Pumpkin Patch Express. Visitors can hop aboard the Great Smoky Mountains Railroad PEANUTS Pumpkin Patch Express which is themed after Charles M. Schulz’s classic story “It’s The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown.” Upon arrival to the pumpkin patch, visitors are greeted by characters from PEANUTS, and children are allowed to pick their own pumpkin to take home. 3. Jumbo's Pumpkin Patch – Middletown, Md. Jumbo’s Pumpkin Patch is located at the historic Homestead Farms. Visitors can take hayrides to the 15-acre pick-your-own pumpkin patch. The farm also has several other activities and attractions such as a petting zoo, pony rides and a shop full of handmade items and antiques. Once you’ve picked your pumpkin, utilize some of the following pumpkin picking tips to carve a great jack-o-lantern.
- Always pick a firm pumpkin that is blemish-free on at least one side.
- Be sure that you have the proper tools before you start carving. Common tools include a serrated knife, ice cream scoop or large spoon, small paring knives, needles or pushpins, and a pen or marker. Many stores carry safe pumpkin-carving kits with all of the tools you will need to carve the perfect pumpkin.
- There are several methods that you can use to create a unique jack-o-lantern. Consider dressing up your pumpkin rather than carving it. Print out faces or cut shapes out of different materials and simply glue it to your pumpkin. This allows you to decorate your pumpkin without having to use carving tools.
- If you choose to go the traditional carving route, print out or draw the pattern on a piece of paper. Use your tools to cut out the areas you will be carving into the pumpkin. You can also use pushpins or needles as a guide to score the carving lines into the pumpkin.
- Popular jack-o-lantern carving ideas include anything from cartoon characters, to traditional Halloween scenes or even simple faces. Let your imagination run wild when carving your jack-o-lantern!