Austin-Bergstrom International Airport (AUS) Guide
Located just five miles southeast of Downtown Austin, the Austin-Bergstrom International Airport (AUS), formerly the Bergstrom Air Force Base, is the third busiest airport in Texas. With two runways and three helipads, AUS covers 42 acres, and AUS sees over 500 arrivals and departures daily to 76 North American and European destinations.
AUS completed its first major expansion project in 2015, focusing its renovations on an expanded immigration and customs area and two new baggage claim belts. In 2019, AUS added nine additional gates, with two accommodating bridges that serve larger aircrafts. The airport team is preparing their 2040 master plan, with planned updates including new satellite concourse with 32 gates, a new 10,000 ft runway and corresponding taxiway improvements and a new head-terminal for expanded check-in, security, and pick-up/drop-off.
Airlines servicing AUS include Aeroméxico Connect, Air Canada, Air Canada Express, Alaska Airlines, Allegiant Air, American Airlines, American Eagle, British Airways, Delta Air Lines, Delta Connection, Frontier Airlines, JetBlue, Lufthansa, Norwegian Air Shuttle, Southwest Airlines, Spirit Airlines, Sun Country Airlines, Taos Air, United Airlines, United Express, and WestJet.
AIRPORT DINING AND AMENITIES
AUS offers ample dining and shopping options for travelers. The American Airlines Admirals Club and United Club members can find a home away from home across from Austin’s well-known Salt Lick BBQ restaurant. The Delta Sky Club can be found at Gate 1.
Free WiFi is available for up to four hours through Boingo, and complimentary hydration stations are on the ticketed side of the terminal.
Nursing mothers can find a private Mamava lactation suite across from Second Bar + Kitchen under the balcony across from Gate 10.
Parking near AUS with The Parking Spot helps travelers find the best, most convenient and cost-effective parking option so their car-to-air transfer is as seamless as possible. The Parking Spot has two convenient AUS locations—2935 Hwy 71 and 1600 Hwy 71 —and offers reservable spots that are approximately 40% less expensive than parking at the airport.
- Access to the lowest rates via reservation and pre-pay on The Parking Spot app or TheParkingSpot.com
- Shuttle service every 5-7 minutes from the parking lot to the airport
- On-call shuttle hours between 10 p.m. - 6 a.m.
- Shuttle tracking through The Parking Spot app
- Luggage assistance
- Free bottled water.
- Soft Hands Car Care for select locations and parking types
- Short and long-term parking options
- Open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year
- Express check-in and check-out through The Parking Spot app
- Valet parking at West location
- Electric charging stations at East location
HOTELS NEAR AUS
Whether you are planning in advance or experiencing unexpected overnight delays, finding a place to lay your head near AUS is a breeze. Check out these nearby hotel options:
ATTRACTIONS NEAR AUS
- Live Old Brewing Company(1615 Crozier Lane, Del Valle, TX 78617) Experience this Texas brewhouse and take a tour of the brewery. Beer selections range from hefeweizens to weizenbock. (1.5 miles from AUS)
- The Rainey Street Historic District (Rainey St, Austin, TX 78701) is a perfect spot for travelers looking to experience a bit of Austin’s famous nightlife. Old residential homes are converted into bungalow bars, which make for a charming atmosphere as visitors stroll from location to location with pit stops at food trailers in between. (6.7 miles from AUS)
- Prohibition Creamery (1407 E 7th St, Austin, TX 78702) Booze and ice cream make a perfect match at this decadent frozen dessert shop that offers both dairy-full and dairy-free selections. (7.8 miles from AUS)
Q. Does the Austin airport have TSA Precheck?
A. As of 2016, AUS offers TSA pre-check.
Q. How early should I get to the Austin-Bergstrom International Airport ?
A. AUS recommends getting to the airport 2-3 hours before your flight time.
Q. How far is Austin-Bergstrom International Airport from downtown Austin?
A. AUS is about 10 miles away from downtown Austin.
Q. Is there more than one airport in Austin?
A. AUS is the only airport in the Austin area.
Q. Can you sleep in Austin-Bergstrom International Airport ?
A. There are no sleeping lounges inside AUS, but there are plenty of nearby hotel options.
Q. Does Austin-Bergstrom International Airport have a smoking area?
A. AUS does not have any smoking lounges but there is smoking allowed 25 feet outside the main entrance of the airport.
Q. Are you allowed to vape inside AUS?
A. Vaping inside AUS is not permitted.
Q. Is there a kid-friendly area inside AUS?
A. AUS does not have a designated kid-friendly area, but it does have a family airplane viewing area near the east runway.
Q. Are pets allowed to fly out of AUS?
A. Pets are allowed to fly out of AUS. The airport offers a pet relief area outside the lower level at both ends of the terminal garage.
Q. Are there nursing pods inside AUS?
A. AUS has private lactation suites for nursing and pumping across from Second Bar + Kitchen under the balcony across from Gate 10.